Title: MSM Outreach Specialist
FLSA status: Non-Exempt
Reports directly to Testing Manager, and in case of absence, the Associate Director.
The Alliance of AIDS Services-Carolina (AAS-C)’s mission is to serve the community through non-judgmental support, education, and care for the prevention of HIV/AIDS/STI. We are committed to serving all people infected or affected with HIV/AIDS in a non-judgmental and confidential environment, regardless of means of transmission or the ability to pay.
Primary Purpose of Position:
To locate, engage, and link currently unconnected and marginally connected people to HIV testing services, referral services, and CLEAR Counseling.
Description of Responsibilities and Duties:
- Provides outreach services at various times, including traditional hours (Monday through Friday, 9-5) and non-traditional hours (evening, weekend, and late-night hours);
- Works in the community to identify high-risk individuals, such as men who have sex with men (MSM) and people of color, while also engaging people living with HIV;
- Maintains geosocial outreach campaign to reach individuals and groups via internet;
- Connects identified population with testing services, CLEAR Counseling, and other network of care services;
- All primary duties of testing for HIV and STI’S including, but not limited to, client counseling, venipuncture, urine collection, specimen processing, paperwork, etc.;
- Identify new testing and counseling venues;
- Assist with organization special events and fundraising; and
- Other duties as assigned.
Required Skills and Abilities:
To perform this job successfully, the individual must be able to perform each duty satisfactorily. The requirements listed below are representative of the knowledge, skill and/or ability required.
- The preferred Outreach Specialist will be an individual from the population i.e., MSM or HIV+ individual;
- Must have a high school diploma or equivalent. Prior outreach work experience is a plus and preferred;
- Must have a reliable car, valid driver’s license, and insurance;
- Must display honesty, integrity, and excellent ethical conduct;
- Ability to connect with individuals and build relationships with community members from diverse backgrounds;
- Bilingual skills preferred (English/Spanish);
- Good time management and communication (both written and verbal) skills;
- Willingness to work with a diversified population;
- Ability to work independently and cooperatively in a team; and,
- Awareness and commitment to AAS-C’s mission statement and values as well as standards under the ADA and EEOC.
Agency Expectations of Employee:
- Adheres to Agency Policy and Procedures;
- Acts as role model within and outside AAS-C;
- Maintains a positive and respectful attitude;
- Demonstrates flexible and efficient time management to prioritize workload; and, Consistently reports to work prepared and on time.
Position Location and Physical Requirements:
This position will primarily be performed out of the Alliance of AIDS Services-Carolina’s office, non-traditional street outreach venues, and collaborative agencies in an 11-county catchment area known as Region 6. The Candidate will be required to travel throughout Region 6 for outreach activities and testing events on a weekly basis. Frequent lifting of supplies and training materials is required. Seventy percent of incumbent’s time will be spent in the field participating in outreach activities. A flexible schedule is required for this position to accommodate community needs. Evening and weekend work is necessary.
$28,000 - $30,000 annually depending on experience.
A review of this position has excluded the marginal functions of the position that are incidental to the performance of the fundamental job duties. All duties and responsibilities are essential job functions and requirements and are subject to possible modification to reasonably accommodate individuals with disabilities. To perform this job successfully, the incumbent(s) will possess the skills, aptitudes, and abilities to perform each duty proficiently. Some requirements may exclude individuals who pose a direct threat or significant risk to the health or safety of themselves or others. The requirements listed in this document are the minimum levels of knowledge, skills, or abilities.
Please submit cover letter and resume to [email protected] for consideration.